Thursday, April 16, 2020

Your Exit Strategy

Identify the exit strategy you plan to make. Do you intend to sell your business in the next 5 years for a large return? Do you intend to stay with the business for several decades and retire? Do you intend to protect the venture as a family business, and pass it down to your children?

I don’t see myself creating an exit strategy for something that I build that would involve selling it off to someone else. Of course, I’m aware that not knowing all of the stress of running a company has an influence on my current opinion. However, at the moment, I would like to grow the business as large as possible but to the point where it can still be run by and passed on to my family.

Why have you selected this particular exit strategy?

I selected this strategy because I would like to leave a legacy for my family. More than just money, I would like to create something that they can continue to work on and make their own. I would find it hard to sell something that you’ve worked so hard to create and grow.

How do you think your exit strategy has influenced the other decisions you've made in your concept? For instance, has it influenced how you have identified an opportunity? Has it influenced your growth intentions or how you plan to acquire and use resources?

Even though I’m not constantly thinking of an exit strategy when thinking about my venture, I do think that it subconsciously impacts my decisions. The way I think of everything is a more long term holding and not a short term to try to sell. This is obviously going to impact the strategies that I choose to implement.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Elio,
    Building a company takes a lot of effort, time and money, and If I grew my business after into something I was proud of, I wouldn't be interested in selling it either. I like your idea of wanting to possibly turn your company into a family business rather than sell it and give your kids the money. This lets your children have the opportunity to grow your product/service to an unimaginable level and start experiencing the entrepreneurial world at a young age. You did a good job discussing your exit strategy for your company, and I agree with you about taking into account your businesses future with every little decision you make.

    ReplyDelete