Friday, January 24, 2020


Bug List

1.     Uncomfortable airplane seats
Why it exists: Airlines have to fit as many passengers as possible in each flight to optimize earnings. This means they often have to compromise comfort and room.  
2.     Cat hair on furniture and clothes
Why it exists: Many people love to have their cats indoor. This means that have to deal with the shedding that frequently ends up on clothes and furniture.
3.     Having to deal with cat litter
Why it exists: Indoor cats that are not allowed to go outside are forced to go to the bathroom indoors. The only option available is to have them “go” in the litter box.  
4.     Soap scum in glass showers
Why it exists: Soap from showers tends to end up everywhere. It is especially visible in showers that are made out of glass.
5.     Weeds in the yard
Why it exists: Weeds always find a way of growing faster and thicker than grass and in unwanted spots. These plants are typically more resilient and grow in a variety of conditions   
6.     Finding spiders in the car
Why it exists: Bugs, pun intended, seem to find their way into weird places. This is probably why you’ll see spiders in your car sometimes. They’re probably just looking for bugs to eat.   
7.     Having to iron/steam clothes
Why it exists: Clothes easily wrinkle after being washed and dried.  
8.     Having to carry keys around everywhere
Why it exists: We use keys to open many things in our day to day lives. This means that we have to carry them around with us all day. They are usually all together to make it easier not to lose any of them.   
9.     Folding laundry
Why it exists: Clothes have to be folded after they are washed and before they can be stored.   
10.  Uncomfortable shoes
Why it exists: Shoes come in different shapes and are made out of various materials to suit different styles. Unfortunately, many times those two things will sacrifice comfort.  
11.  Over/under heating food in the microwave
Why it exists: We microwave all sorts of different foods that come in a variety of shapes and sizes. This makes can often make it difficult to figure out how much time different items require.    
12.  Ice melting in drinks
Why it exists: Ice used to cool beverages will start to melt as soon as it’s immersed in the drink because of the ambient temperature.
13.  Dog toys that don’t last
Why it exists: Many dogs are persistent in destroying their toys. They enjoy playing with them in ways that end up tearing them apart.
14.  Cleaning/polishing wood floors
Why it exists: Messes and dirt easily accumulate and show up on wood floors. This means they have to be cleaned quite often.
15.  Dirty/dusty ceiling fans
Why it exists: Ceiling fans are constantly moving and pickup up dust in the air.
16.  Electronic devices running out of battery
Why it exists: The time we spend on or electronic devices each day drains their batteries.
17.  Pollen on cars
Why it exists: Most cars are outside in the open air for the majority of the time. This means they are always exposed to pollen and can have it build up very quickly.
18.  Oil changes for vehicles
Why it exists: Oil helps lubricate the engine and absorb heat. Over time, this oil breaks down and needs to be replaced.
19.  Cats scratching furniture
Why it exists: Cats usually scratch furniture because it helps them remove the outer layer of their claws and as a way to mark their territory.
20.  Changing air filters for A/C unit
Why it exists: AC units constantly have air running in and out of the unit. The air filter helps make sure the air is clean and free of debris.  

I thought this assignment was going to be fairly easy, but it ended up being a lot more challenging than I expected. I initially found myself thinking of “bugs” that I could solve or that have not been discovered yet. I didn’t feel like I should list things that we already have a “solution” until I started thinking about how effective that solution is, or if I felt that the solution is convenient. For example, I know I have to change the filter for my AC unit because it helps it run better, but it doesn’t make it less annoying to have to order it and change it every few weeks. I think a lot of times we tend to think of things that we do routinely as necessities because they are upkeep for other items that “solve” problems. What we don’t think about is that maybe these items, like an AC in this case, can be replaced by something else that would be easier to maintain and manage. I’m definitely not claiming to have a replacement for AC unit at this point, but I do think this exercise has helped me view “bugs” from a broader and less limited perspective.  

4 comments:

  1. I really did enjoy reading your post. Guessing from the fact that a few of them were cat related, I would say you have a pesky cat in your life. Your bugs were short, sweet and to the point, but the why's gave a little more insight into the why of the bug. I was a little lengthier in explaining my bugs and less so with the why. Your explanation of this assignment was pretty spot on as well. I think most of us thought this would be a piece of cake assignment, then you sit down to actually start typing the list and your mind goes blank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Elio, I thought your post was very detailed and contained good analysis as to why each bug exists. It seems like you have a lot of house and car maintenance hassles that occur on a lot more than people think. For my post, I don't know why didn't seem to think to include bug topics that deal with tasks that can happen at home, rather than bugs that happen around my community or on my work/school week routine. Overall, I was impressed and intrigued to see not just the bugs on your list, but how other lists were so different compared to mine and to see how others look at the world opened my eyes a little bit. Great job on this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read your post, I think you have a pair of eyes that are good at discovering and a brain that can think. Why do you say that? Because I see from your post that you will pay attention to small details in life that are difficult for ordinary people to pay attention to. Like why the seats on the plane are uncomfortable and why, why weeds grow so fast and so on. I hope you can continue, I look forward to your next article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elio,
    I really enjoyed reading your post, I think it is very relatable to others and you explained in detail why each of the bugs are considered bugs. I think that your explanations had detail but you could have gone into a deeper explanation for certain bugs like wrinkled clothes. I also liked how your bugs were things that effect your personal life everyday rather than general bugs. Overall great job.

    ReplyDelete